SURVEY of the PARISH of OTTERSHAW and its SURROUNDS.
1994-2000, with HISTORICAL BACKGROUND.
HANNAH LANE and the OTTERSHAW SOCIETY.
PRESENTED to the SURREY HISTORY CENTRE JANUARY 2001.
This Survey was started in 1994 by the Secretary of the Society, Hannah Lane. It will compliment the archives already held in the Surrey History Centre and Chertsey Museum on Ottershaw.
The Survey has three components. The first is a comprehensive photographic record of the village, with every road, public and private, illustrated in detail, as well as many of the individual houses. They number 1,100 in total. These are described in detail in the written text. The photographs have been copied onto CD ROM discs for ease of viewing and storage. Where major developments, or demolition of important houses, were taking place in the areas surrounding the parish, these were also photographed and are part of the Survey.
As well as talking to Mrs. Lane on their memories of the village, many residents gave, or lent for copying, their own family photographs to illustrate their stories of the past. These also include views of the now demolished cottages and other general historical views of the area. These, together with more recent photographs of the restoration of some of the historical buildings and village events, are presented in archival safe storage files as part of the overall photographic survey. There are two detailed aerial photographs of 1972 and 1992.
The second component is the rich historical background from other sources including books, research papers, deeds and anecdotal comments by older residents. It is mostly from 1800 onwards, but does refer to historical sources prior to this date. As the text is arranged by road, general historical information is given in the introduction to each road. Where the history is only applicable to a specific site, this information is linked with the text of the relevant photograph.
The third part is written material from sources not previously in any public archive collection that is mostly illustrating the life of the village in the mid 1990`s. It does also include some historical written material from the more recent past.
All of this is backed up by 25 inches to a mile large scale Ordnance Survey maps showing where each photograph was taken from, as well as the development of the village in the 1990`s. Together with other historical maps from the 18th C onwards. Much use has been made of the Ottershaw Society’s Historical Map of 1871 by Mike Stride, copies available from the Society.
As a result of Mrs. Lane`s efforts we have an extremely comprehensive survey of the village of Ottershaw which is unique.
The Survey is available for reference at the Surrey History Centre at 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, open Tuesdays to Saturdays. Telephone number 01483 594594. The Reference Number is 6943/-. Copies of much of the material is also held by Mrs. Lane, and is available for reference. For further details on this Survey, or the Ottershaw Society, contact Mrs. Lane, 6 Foxhills Close, Ottershaw, Surrey. KT16 0NH, telephone number 01932 873173.
Photographs of the past are contained in
“A Chertsey Camera”
by D.M & J.L Barker and is availiable to purchase from